Monday, February 25, 2008

Parable of the 10 Virgins

Hey guys, how was your weekend? I hope it was good :)

Anyway, I was preparing for my own bible study on this topic - Parable of the Ten Virgins. And its been on my mind since the day I read it. So just thought I'd share with all of you :)

For those of you who may not know, this parable is from the book of Matthew


Matthew 25:1-13
1"Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the groom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were sensible. 3When the foolish took their lamps, they didnt take oil with them. 4But the sensible ones took oil in their flasks with their lamps. 5Since the groom was delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6In the middle of the night there was a shout: 'Here's the groom! Come out to meet him.'
7Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps. 8But the foolish ones said to the sensible ones, 'Give us some of your oil, because our lamps are going out.'

9The sensible ones answered, 'No, there wont be enough for us and for you. Go instead to those who sell, and buy oil for yourselves.'

10When they had gone to buy some, the groom arrived. Then those who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet, and the door was shut.

11Later, the rest of the virgins also came and said, 'Master, master, open up for us!'

12But he replied, 'I assure you: I do not know you!'

13Therefore be alert, because you dont know either the day or the hour."

Basically, the groom symbolise God, oil symbolises our daily walk with God, and the bridesmaids refer to us christian converters.

I was shocked, when I read of how the groom replied the 5 foolish bridesmaids that "I do not know you!" though they were bridesmaids of the groom. That because of their lack of preparation for the groom's coming, that they missed out completely on the wedding banquet! Our God is a loving and merciful God, and such strong statements surely left me feeling worried. Am I prepared for the day when He comes to take us back?

Jesus' focus was on their unpreparedness and on engaging in secular pursuits at the moment of spiritual need. When Jesus returns to take his people to heaven, we must be ready. Spiritual preparation cannot be bought or borrowed at the last minute. No one can rely on anyone else. Our relationship with God must be our own.

Let this parable spur us on and encourage us all to become more devoted christians, not just by name, but by our acts too. Lest the day comes, when the doors are shut and Jesus say "I assure you: I do not know you!"



LLing :)

No comments: